Saturday, January 21, 2012

Be angry

"First they came for the Ahmadis and the Shias,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't an Ahmadi or a Shia.
Then they came for the queers,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a queer.
Then they came for the members of GKI Yasmin,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Christian.
Then they came for the atheists,
and I didn't speak out because I'm a believer.
Then they came for me,
and there was no one left to speak out for me." 
Niemöller, re-written.


I am not who you should be worried about. I am not who you should take offense from. Your God is not less great because I don't believe in him.

You don't think your God is any less great because one billion people are Catholics. You don't think your God is any less great because the Hindus worship Shiva Brahma and Vishnu. You don't think your God is any less great because the Japanese never bow to a distant Arab land.

So no, your God is not any less great even if I wrote a Facebook status that claims otherwise.

So chill.

But if you are so keen in winning back my worship, there is one thing you can do: be angry.

Be angry when a man is mobbed for voicing his thought. Be angry when the Ahmaddiyah and the Shia fear for their life. Be angry when the congregation of GKI Yasmin are forced to worship their God from the sidewalk.

Be righteously angry.

Because docility repels me.

Show me you can tolerate others with disagreeing view. Show me you are compassionate to the weak. Show me that you, as your prophet before you, are not legitimizing those who are forcing their minority view.

Much less shoving it down the throats of the helpless few, bullied and intimidated into conformance.

Then even if you don't have the answers to all my questions, I will hold you in renewed respect. Your lessons I will listen with open ears, with less prejudice than I would otherwise hold.

And perhaps that would even make your God looks upon you with pride.

2 comments:

colson said...

Great post for sure. You spoke my mind - but much more eloquently than I would be able of.

Masyhur said...

Thanks for the kind word, Colson! In an unrelated note, I'm curious, are you Colson from pelopor.nl?