Monday, April 5, 2010

Being Atlas

So we were talking about different extremes of the same spectrum: homicide and suicide. I remember blurting out comparison with Atlas: it's not like the burden of the heaven rests on our shoulders. I vaguely recall being vindicated, as the other end of conversation suggests that we would see a lot more suicides if the world indeed rests on our shoulders.

But is that really so? Sometime later I found me comparing myself on different situations. Whenever I have people rely on me, perhaps for direction of what turn to take, I willingly step down the car and ask any nearby person. Looking for way out of subway, I can be more assertive. 

Conversely, when no-one depends on me, I revert back to being languid. Case in point: myself at present. I don't feel the school is such a big deal and hence my inertia. 

Even in the realm of fiction, this is somewhat similar. Take a look Harry Potter--or Percy Jackson, or practically every other protagonist ever penned: the burden of the world suddenly thrusted to their shoulders and they at the very least try to stand their ground. So could it be that what's keeping it together for mankind is the sense of importance? The sense that when we fail, the world is also doomed with us? That we are the only one able to make difference?

No comments: