Saturday, October 3, 2020

Internet Reading Q3 2020

Here we go, three fourth of the very strange year is behind us. So it's time for another round-ups of links:

1. This post is for you if you’ve been wondering whether Black Death => Renaissance means COVID => Golden Age, and you want a more robust answer than, “No no no no no!”

And: The bubonic plague did not go away, it remained endemic, like influenza or chickenpox today. Losing a friend or sibling to plague was a universal experience from 1348 to the 1720s, when plague finally diminished in Europe, not because of any advance in medicine, but because fourteen generations of exposure gave natural selection time to work.

More about the pandemic:

2. The Great Climate Migration Has Begun

More about the environment and natural sciences:

3. I’ve been deeply interested in personal knowledge management for almost 10 years now. V1 of my interest was a private wiki I created in college to help organize the notes I started taking from non-fiction books I was reading. Roam is V4. Roam: Why I Love It and How I Use It

More about thinking and knowledge:

  • How might one create timeful texts--texts which continue the conversation with the reader as they slowly integrate those ideas into their lives? Timeful Texts
  • I’ve worked in around Cambridge, and yet I can report that basically nobody has a schedule resembling the same rigor as that of a professional athlete. This is not to say that researchers don’t work hard—they absolutely do. It’s that information is gathered inconsistently, and that there is very rarely an organized process for testing recall/understanding of new facts. Let’s Take Our Brains More Seriously When Learning
  • AskReddit asked recently: If you could only give an alien one thing to help them understand the human race, what would you give them? I would give them Charlotte Lennox’s write-up of how MsScribe took over Harry Potter fandom. We Are All MsScribe
  • I’ve increasingly been seeing people outright reject the idea that they ever were anywhere but where they are now, and anyone who isn’t here already is lost forever. We need to remember the directions we followed. Remember How You Got Here
  • The diversity of perspective is typically correlated with diversity of goals – someone who disagrees with how you see the world is also likely to want different things from it. But you should still push towards the margins of diversity as best as you can. In praise of negativity
  • Negativity (when applied with rigor) requires more care than positivity.
  • Views on politics reflect a lot about people. For instance, they show your first-hand knowledge, your courage and insight, how much you’ve read, your ability to think and distinguish right from wrong, how much you care for others and feel a sense of social responsibility, how well you can resist swindlers, whether you feel part of a national mission and love your compatriots, whether you especially love your homeland or other things, and so on. These things all distinguish people’s fundamental judgment. 'Thanks to Coronavirus, I Realized My Spouse's Brain is Broken'
  • I’ve lost count of the number of students who, when describing their career goals, talk about their desire to “maximize optionality.” The Yale undergraduate goes to work at McKinsey for two years, then comes to Harvard Business School, then graduates and goes to work Goldman Sachs and leaves after several years to work at Blackstone. Optionality abounds! This individual has merely acquired stamps of approval and has acquired safety net upon safety net. These safety nets don’t end up enabling big risk-taking--individuals just become habitual acquirers of safety nets.
  • My own production function, in some ways, of continuing current projects is fine. I can do that. But I do feel that if this carries on for another year, the US economy is going to suffer a little bit in terms of struggling to come up with new ideas. I’m not randomly meeting people. I can easily Zoom current people I know, but it’s much harder to come up with random people at seminars you would’ve gone to, but clearly aren’t. Nicholas Bloom on Management, Productivity, and Scientific Progress

4. Economics is a disgrace

More about economics and research sausage making:

5. The 450 Movement: I do peer review and I want you to pay me four hundred and fifty dollars. I’ll even say please.

More about social science:

6. Seen in the best light, a wealthy person excited by stoicism is seeking a philosophy that helps the mind resist greed and the capitalist rat race and offers a wiser perspective and inner happiness; seen in the worst light it can be a tool for justifying keeping one’s wealth and power and not trying to help others.

More about social justice and racism:

7. Why Does Monaco Exist?

More readings about the US politics, Australia, China, Africa, Indonesia, UK:

8. During this [Radical Honesty] experiment, a freelance writer asked me if I would go to coffee with him, and I said, “I just got to be honest. The thought of it gives me dread”. And I was terrified to send it, but he wrote back, “You know what, I am not very social either. It gives me dread. But I felt I had to do it for my career”. And then we came to a compromise that we would talk on Skype.

And: Of course it’s ridiculous and cartoonish, but also I liked it. And so I do say to my wife, half-jokingly every Valentine’s day, “The benefits of being married to you outweigh the cost”. But I say, “I love you, but there are things that annoy me. But overall I love you very much”. And I think that might not work for everyone, but it works for our relationship so far, at least.

More about relationships and queerness:

9. Anduin is Indus River, Mordor is Pamir/Himalaya/Tian-shan. The Tale of the annotated map and Tolkien’s hidden riddles

More about books, writing, and other miscellanea:

No comments: