Saturday, December 25, 2021

Internet Reading Q4 2021

This collection of links are solid proof that I dicked around the Internet more this quarter.

1. Walking through doorways causes forgetting

Thinking, rationality, altruism, and longtermism

2. Do I Have Productivity Dysmorphia?

Modern life and Social Media

3. Rule no 1: Always decide the day before what you will write and when you will write, one key sentence and 27 minutes at a time. Rule no 2: Never write about something you just learned this week. Always write about something you knew last week at the latest. Also, why is this so hard?

Poems, puns, writing

4. The Much Quieter Revolution of Synthetic Control

Economics and Development

5. Gay marriage was a victory, we’re told—but a victory for what? We could have dreamed bigger dreams, but we chose marriage instead. (Yasmin Nair)

More on LGBTQIA

6. If a fixation on personal behavior distracts from the political changes we need, dismissing the value of personal behaviors detracts from the political movement for climate justice. It may just be that encouraging personal behavior change doesn’t shrink or weaken the climate movement—it can expand, strengthen, and deepen it. Yes, Actually, Individual Responsibility Is Essential to Solving the Climate Crisis

More on Climate

7. My father was afraid for me to come to Australia. He mostly made jokes about it. But I know my father, and I know when the jokes have a serious undercurrent. And now that I’m here I know now that Dad was right to worry. This is not a safe country for people of color. Now. Before you tar and feather me, let me tell you something else I’ve come to understand in the past three days. Australia may not be the safest place for someone who looks like me… but it’s trying to become safer. You’re trying. I want you to understand that what you’ve done makes me want to weep with envy, and bitterness, and hope. After all: what is hatred, really, but supreme indifference to the suffering of another? (N. K. Jemisin)

More from around the world

8. Is Sucking Carbon Out of the Air the Solution to Our Climate Crisis? Or just another Big Oil boondoggle?

Other writings by Clive Thompson

9. Scott Alexander reviews Lifespan. Also, Ivermectin.

Science and technology

10. [One thing] separated the people who have a strong sense of love and belonging and the people who really struggle for it. They believe they're worthy. What do these people have in common? The courage to be imperfect, the compassion to be kind to themselves, and connection as a result of authenticity. They fully embraced vulnerability.

Being Human, Culture, and Miscellanea (and two writings by Yasmin Nair)


No comments: