Friday, January 14, 2022

NGC 17

Hello, here's a picture of NGC 17 (also known as NGC 34 due to a very slight discrepancy when it was listed in the New General Catalogue). 



This picture was taken from the Hubble in 2002. I have forgotten what little I managed to learn about infrared astronomy so I have absolutely no clue if this object at some point will be an observation target for the newly launched JWST, but wouldn't it be so dang cool to learn new astronomy from a merging galaxy. JWST itself is also very cool:



NGC 17 is a spiral galaxy in the constellation of Cetus/the whale. And you know what else took place in that constellation? Andy Weir's excellent new novel Project Hail Mary. This book reminds me of bits that I liked from the Martian, Ted Chiang's Arrival, Scalzi's the Collapsing Empire, and Ludlum's the Bourne Identity (with a bonus from TL's Anak-anak Mamak series). An excellent romp all around.

No comments: